A few quick notes on fried garlic, which is part two of A's lentils I made the daal from start to finish yesterday, along with the fried garlic, A happily offered words of wisdom. Sooo, before I forget. Student's notes on fried garlic, the last step of masoor daal:
1. Peel and chop a bulb of garlic. One bulb = several cloves
2. Heat "more than a tablespoon" of ghee in a skillet. Then add some vegetable oil.
3. Once the oil/ghee is hot, add the chopped garlic.
4. Once the garlic is halfway browned, add a bunch of whole cumin seeds.
5. Once the garlic is totally done, pour into the still-simmering daal, careful to use the pot lid to shield oneself from the guaranteed splatters.
6. Then, take a small scoop of the daal and pour it into the skillet. Swish it around to gather up any of the garlic or cumin bits then pour back into the lentils.