Sunday, April 26, 2015

Pita Bread

I am sooo pleased with this pita bread recipe and the result. The recipe is mostly from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pita-bread-recipe0.html, but I think I've perfected it and need to jot down exactly what I did yesterday
This lil pocket is thrilling. Bread is amazing.


Ingredients:
1tsp dry yeast
2.5 cups warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
about 4 cups of all purpose or bread flour, preferably bread flour
1 tablespoon of salt
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, closer to 2

Directions:
1. Sprinkle yeast and stir into warm water until dissolved. It can sit for a few minutes.
2. Add whole wehat flour, 1 cup at a time. Stir 111 strokes in the same direction.
3. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes, up to 2 hours. It rested about 35-40 minutes. This is, apparently, called the "sponge."
4. Sprinkle the salt over the sponge and stir in the olive oil. Mix well.
5. Add white flour, 1 cup at a time, until it is too stiff to stir. I've been working out, so I think I added a little more than the last time I made this ;)
6. Turn it on to a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. This is a long time. I listened to part of a "Happier" podcast while I kneaded. The time passed peacefully.
7. Return the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled, about 1.5 hours. Then gently punch it down.
8. Heat the oven to 450F. Put the baking sheets in so they heat up. Then roll out circles of the dough. My lesson here is not to be skimpy with the circles. I made about 10. Then, lay flat on the baking sheets and bake for 3.5-4 minutes. Here is where I thank my parents for the gift of a kitchen timer. The circles will start to puff out. Then they're done!

We had this with gyro meat that A cooked a few days ago, and our version of tzatziki sauce, namely: plain yogurt, chopped cucumber, garlic powder, and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment