Saturday, April 2, 2011

Seconds/Teamwork

I've decided to re-purpose a few moments each day. Seconds, really. I tried a new thing this week. It sounds so silly, now that I actually try to write about it, but here we go anyway. Every time I use the toaster or oven, I try to see how much I can accomplish in those two minutes or so. I don't stop moving until I hear the ding. It's been little things I would have done anyway, like wipe down a counter or empty the recycling bin, wash a dish or two, but it secretly feels like extra time. Secret bonus time. All those quotes about small daily tasks being more powerful than large day-long tasks may be true.

***
A few days ago, I found myself in the midst of a conversation at work about a very very sick baby. The split-second I stepped back and thought about the existence of the conversation itself was a really gratifying-beautiful split-second indeed. Here were six adults: three doctors, a detective, a medical student, and a whipsmart administrator discussing how to save and protect a baby who probably weighed less than any one of our individual forearms. Despite the quasi-horror of the situation that led to the baby being so sick, it kinda made me love the team that humanity can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment