Saturday, January 15, 2011

4th: Last Book You Read

Within days of each other, I finished two stories, each about a young man going on a rather incredible adventure. One is a true story. The other is not explicitly true, but somehow reveals many more inherent truths of childhood and independence. I don't think I would have connected the two of them if it hadn't been for the literal timing of near-simultaneous reading.

The first was a desperate-impulsive purchase in an airport. Delayed flight, shock at magazines costing nearly as much as paperbacks, thinking the young man on the cover looked warm when the airport drafts felt so chilly. That kind of purchase. 127 Hours: Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston.

The second was a gift, received the next day. It's a book that has been on my radar since it was written by an author I really love. I read it whilst cozy, whilst it snowed outside. The Wild Things by Dave Eggers.

I have many mixed thoughts about each. But, I think they've both allowed me to be a bit more reverent for imagination, exploration, and nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment